General Reading on Photographic Theory or Philosophy
- Barrett, Terry. Criticizing Photographs (5th Ed.), 2012, McGraw Hill. Link. Rather dry textbook looking at the process of writing about photographs. Good material, dull presentation.
- Dyer, Geoff. The Ongoing Moment, 2005, Vintage. Link. Intriguing book that looks at how common themes are carried from one artist to another.
- Jeffrey, Ian. How to Read a Photograph, 2008, Thames & Hudson. Link. Excellent overview of the genre of photography, although more a visual history than a guide to reading images
Art in General
- Freeland, Cynthia. But is it Art?, 2001, OUP. Link. A small and very readable book that explores the fundamental question of what art actually is.
- Clark, Larry. Tulsa, 1971,Grove Press. Link. Harrowing story of drugs, sex and guns told through a series of very intimate photographs
- Goldin, Nan. The Ballad of Sexual Dependency, 1986, Aperture. Link. A lifelong study of the relationships between the men and women who make up her closest friends. Beautiful and yet at times disturbing
- Parr, Martin. Think of England, 2000, Phaidon. Link. A colourful celebration of stereotypical Englishness seen through the rituals of tea parties, the seaside, and jumble sales to name a few themes. Great inspiration for my Oktoberfest work.
- Greenough, Sarah. Looking in Robert Frank's The Americans, 2009, Seidl. Detailed, but illuminating investigation of how Robert Frank came to create his major work, The Americans