Sunday, October 7, 2012

Assignment 2: Outside on Friday

I arrived at the Fest with my next door neighbour at 4pm and headed into the tent to pick up my invitation ticket, without which I would not be allowed back inside.  I agreed to be back between 5 and 6 after spending some time doing a little more street photography walking around the site.  I traveled light, with just my Fuji X100 in a camera case attached to my belt, once back in the tent I needed something that would not easily be lost or stolen.  The weather was wonderful, clear blue skies and bright warm sunshine.  I had not specific subject in mind, just allowing serendipity to throw up whatever I could find.  Being a Friday there were plenty of people the worse for wear, but as has been the case so far a good natured crowd responded well to my photographic intrusion.

I have been surprised by my reception at the fest, very rarely was anyone even slightly unhappy at being photographed, baring the odd sarcastic request for a modeling fee I only had a couple of aggressive responses, so am feeling good about what I did.  I was intrusive and could not really ask permission in many cases as the act of asking would change the situation I was trying to capture.

This was a good session with the camera, I grabbed a few shots that worked very well, the one with the paramedics being an element that I wanted to portray and a photo that carries the urgency with which these guys move around.  They are a feature of the event, sadly necessary, but doing a great job, protecting the injured and ensuring that the dangerously drunk cause themselves no further harm.  This was a pan, shoot and hope opportunity - I was lucky.

The paramedic image in many ways represents the process of shooting at such an event.  Successful photography is very much a case of being lucky.  I place myself into the mix at the right time of day and simply wait.  Something always did happen, it was just not possible to predict what it would be.  With landscape I could control the situation, pick the light, the angle, the exposure, the focal length - it was all completely controlled.  Documentary work in the street is the opposite, I simply ensure that my camera is set up to able to take any photo at all and press the button as quickly as I can when something happens.











No comments:

Post a Comment