Sunday, November 11, 2012

Odds & Ends

I was hoping to have done a little more work this month, but once again my real job had stepped up a gear and I am back to 12 hour days and 60 hour weeks.  I really should be hard at work finalizing my Photos for assignment 2 and building the accompanying narrative, however, am simply knackered so have been doing some lighter more fun photographic activities.  Most important has been the scanning of over 200 aging  family photographs, some 100 or more years old, and the production of a book to archive them.  The book will be my principal Christmas gift for my Brother, his two young sons and my Mum, a little family history.  I'll comment on this is more detail once it is done.

In the mean time I bought myself an early Christmas present, annoying Heidi in the process who was thinking along the same lines for my Birthday and Christmas, two event two weeks apart, and a pain in the ass for the gift giver.  I am the proud owner of a brand new Fujifilm X-F1 camera, a tiny and yet pretty capable device. I did not need a new camera, I kind of succumbed to retail therapy, but now have a go anywhere carry anywhere camera that is capable of very nice images.  It is not a DLSR or even a Mirrorless replacement, but is something I can take with me all the time.

And yes I did get the brown one with the matching leather case - accessories are important in a Man's life.

Friday was meant to be a days vacation, I still have over 20 days left to take before the end of the year, I managed a morning before the phone dragged me back to my laptop.  I used the morning to take a relaxing walk around the neighbourhood and try out my new toy:









I must say that for such a small camera I am very happy.  It is a typical Fuji providing vivid colour, maybe too vivid, but that is my taste anyway.  I like the manual zoom, it seems better controlled and is a neat way to power the camera on and off.  I do wish it had a viewfinder, but that would make the camera much larger.  I am not a big fan of using a screen for composition, but this one was quite bright even in the strong light that morning.  I also suspect my problem with on screen composition  has more to do with growing longsightedness and an inability to properly focus on the screen.

It does beg the question of why I have so many cameras and continue to buy new ones.  For quite a while I have pondered whether I should simplify my kit and that this would bring a greater focus on the image rather than the process.  I concluded that it wouldn't, the image is about my eye not the technology, the technology helps me to achieve what I want to do, but my problems are in the "WHAT" and not the "HOW".  New cameras bring better performance, smaller platforms, convenience, speed, flexibility, all of which enable me to easier achieve my vision, but none of which helps me to decide what that should be.

One of the many developments in my thinking about photography has been the realization that pixel perfect image quality is simply unnecessary, even wrong for many images. There is the risk that image quality detracts from message, or rather that an obsession with image quality can prevent thought about message.  But, I keep buying cameras, although today I look at the package rather than the output, trying to optimize size and capability.  If I wanted better imagery my best bet right now would be to upgrade my 5D2 for a 5D3, however, I already have more image quality than I can use in the current model.  I am also becoming increasingly frustrated by the weight of modern DSLRs, wanting a small versatile camera that offers "enough" quality.  The Fuji X-F1 is not that camer perhaps it's bigger brothers the X-Pro1 and X-E1 would fit the bill, however, it is the go anywhere do anything camera that makes sure I get the shot.

On another note Christmas is coming and the annual Shaun calendar needs to be produced.  This year I am going with a rich colourful landscape, versus the B&W urban view that was 2012.  There has been quite a lot of debate on Flickr about Joe Cornish and "that" style of landscape photography, with some surprisingly heated comments.  I am not the early morning, half-way up a mountain kind of photographer, too lazy for that so maybe I dismiss the genre on the basis on a couldn't rather than wouldn't basis.  I did struggle during the Landscape course with what a landscape actually is, before deciding that it was whatever I wanted it to be.  Instinctively I am drawn to the landscape of the city, finding joy in the shapes and forms of buildings as they interact with the greenery that surrounds them (well at least in Munich where trees are an obsession).  I also find that I can say more with a study of the city and can offer a viewpoint that is personal and not risk the cliche.

The 12 photos selected have a seasonal variation and almost all are taken from work done over the past 12 months whilst studying Landscape.  They are all taken in the city, although it is not always obvious.  This is not quite what I would put on the wall if this was only for me, I have to respect the taste of those who will get this as a Christmas gift.  It is, however, my voice on landscape, each image is one that I am proud to present as my work.


It is a busy time right now, so much to do and so little free time.  I still have post its with to do lists lurking above my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment