Saturday, July 14, 2012

Alte Schwabinger Strassenfest

My ongoing study of Munich and its people is now starting to gather pace, the festival season is in full swing and the streets are full of people enjoying the summer.  Last weekend was the "Alte Schwabinger Strassenfest" a great event that closes down a couple of streets adds 3 rock band stages and cheap beer to generate a great party.  I was there early in the day when things were more mellow, to capture the more relaxed afternoon atmosphere.  On the way I bumped into a major concert being set up close to the city center and afterwards found some Japanese drummers doing their thing at another street party.

This day I set myself the goal of photographing people sitting enjoying the events and tried to be as up front and in your face as I could manage.  These are a portrait of summer in Munich.










Ultimately these images will be culled down to 80 or 90 taken during the course of a year and assembled into  a book, "Die Muenchener", a homage to Robert Frank and I think the best way to get under his skin.  I don't really want to emulate his style, I want to emulate his approach and thought processes that went towards creating  The Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment