Saturday, July 7, 2012

Log Book

For the first time in my studies with the OCA I am keeping a paper log book in addition to this blog. Previously I have tried to do everything via an electronic record, however, I am beginning to realize that a key element I am missing from my studies is the critical assessment of other photographers work.  I have tried previously to look at photo books and then blog my view, however, this does not really dig deep enough.  The advantage of a physical log book is that I can copy and paste pretty much anything into it, without violation of copyright.  I can then add whatever comments I wish and even mark up the image.  This is more spontaneous than working on a computer keyboard and allows a more personal and critical approach.  Whether I keep this up or not is a key question, however, so far I have found that I can add notes to the paper log book in a few minutes, whilst a blog entry takes some time to create and save.  A blog entry is also a self-contained object, it is a statement, scribbles in a log book can be whatever I want them to be.

So here it is:


My first critique of a photograph is of an image from fellow student, Dewald Botha, the photograph of a pristine shirt hanging in a rather old and shabby location, is very much in tune with what I am trying to do on this course.  Dewald is documenting the emerging China, I am looking at a pretty static society, but both of us want to explore what that society is through landscape, symbols and in my case now, the people.

Learning from each other is a key part of this course and I hope an occasional critique of other students work in my log book is not amiss.

The paper log book also provides a place to stick stuff that I find at exhibitions and galleries, to retain a sense of what I have looked at and absorbed during the course.  I just hope that this does not fall victim to my usual initial enthusiasm followed by neglect...

No comments:

Post a Comment