Wednesday, August 29, 2012

P9: suggesting more with less

Two distinct thoughts drove selection of subject for this Project.  The first is an extension of the self study that I started a month or so ago.  What does the fabric of our lives say about ourselves, if a stranger entered my house what would they infer about me (and Heidi of course).  

The second thought was that as photographers we spend a lot of time trying to capture images of the unusual, looking for that shot that somehow conveys something unique and special.  In doing this we pass by the ordinary and the obvious.  Contemplating Robert Frank and my most recent acquisition, Walker Evans' "American Photographs" I am often thinking, wow, I wish I could have photographed such cool 1930's or 50's scenes.  However, this is stupid, when Frank and Evans made these photographs the facades and advertising were no more strange than WHSmiths on a modern UK high street.  

With these two thoughts in mind I turned my camera inwards to look at the boring and the ordinary in my house.  These photographs are not special, but I can be sure that in 30 years I will look back and wish I had taken more like this.  In these very simple images is the world I now inhabit, a world that in a few years will no longer exist as I gradually change my environment.  Indeed, some details will be gone next week.  Whether these images are truly suggesting more with less, I am not sure, some do, some don't but all use a simple photograph of a collection of objects to say something about me.


A bookshelf containing nearly every Discworld book lined up in the order they were published, with a wireless repeater sitting in front.  This guy grew up with fantasy fiction, but perhaps has a sense of humour, coupled with some OCD tendencies.  He also has a technical background.



Downstairs the bookshelves are far neater, and again very ordered, clearly likes to place things in little boxes and be sure that all is orderly.



Back upstairs in his office, a large collection of CDs points to a love of music, with a mix of old and new.  Once again, though, the alphabetical ordering should warn the unwary.  A large remote controlled Dalek tells of a British childhood.



Not all CDs are in order, a bunch of newer disks wait to be filed, hmmm still likes to buy music - mixture of collection completers and contemporary rock.



Well we knew about this, photography is clearly a passion.  The white lenses point to a Canon groupie and someone with a disposable income, perhaps a DINKY.  In fact the complete absence of kids toys around the house point further to a "no children" Status.



However, these books on photographic theory suggest a little more than a casual snapper, this guy takes photography very seriously perhaps a student.  Wonder if he has read them all somehow I doubt it.



Office door seals the deal, a student of photography, who is currently living in Germany.



More evidence downstairs as most pictures on the wall are photographs of one form or another.  He evidently never figured out how to hang pictures and gave up in despair.



Turning now to the kitchen, a cappuccino machine suggests he likes a good cup of coffee, whilst the knives and olive oil point to a love of cooking.



Coupled with a dislike for washing up more than once a day...



Well he drinks beer and is a thief, these glasses are never sold, only stolen.  And all the Munich breweries are here, so also drinks a lot but likes to complete a collection.



In the bathroom a hair trimmer suggests short hair and the glasses and contact lens stuff point to shortsightedness.  Lack of any smelly stuff suggests an old fashioned Brit.


Wardrobe is spartan, lots of similar T-shirts and long-sleeves.  Clearly has no style whatsoever and works for a pretty laid back company.



Back downstairs, the TV is being controlled by an iPad, well we knew he was technical.  Looking closer the BBC Player again points to a Brit.



Upstairs a wireless repeater blinks away next to an Xbox surrounded by photography books and magazines.   All we have seen so far is reinforced


And the Guardian, must be a little left wing in politics, even if happy to live the good life.



And finally a cat tree, so no kids, but a substitute.

OK, a rather frivolous look at the evidence of myself, but also for me an interesting exercise in self analysis.  What I now need to do is to look at how I can use a similar almost forensic approach to photography to capture clues about the people of Munich.  What is it in the street furniture or building facades that speaks to the character of the people.  In my final assignment for the landscape course I studied the interior space of apartment blocks, the Innenhof, looking at how the landscape reflects on the people who live in the buildings.  In a sense this was a bridge to this course.  So far I am too focused on the people, I need to step back a little, still include the people, but place them in subordinate positions in the frame.

5 comments:

  1. I was so glad to see the washing up - you are human, after all! (I am so much less tidy than you and feeling rather guilty about it). I think that looking at the traces left by people could be an interesting documentary project.

    I probably sound like a stuck record but am wondering again why you went for BW rather than everyday banal colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, guess we'll be able to chat about this soon, but I thought it also useful to write down my rationale here. I have decided to use B&W for the whole course for a number of reasons. First of all my work so far has been mostly colour and in the main quite strong punchy colour. When doing Landscape I did one of the assignments in B&W and found this strangely liberating, it took away a variable and allowed a deeper focus on form. I have also decided on my essay subject already, Robert Frank and want to do something that parallels his work, all of which is B&W. I know that here I could get creative and go with colour, but I do want to explore some more. Hence, for consistency and so that the whole course will pull together visually at assessment I am sticking with B&W for all elements.

      This may change, never say never

      Delete
  2. Fascinating. Like Eileen I felt slightly relieved about the washing up. Reminded me of an old TV programme where the Bostonian presenter went into the houses of well-known people and you had to guess who it belonged to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaun. This, as I see it, are images of you and what you see as important about you; it is a self-portrait with what you think defines you. The narrative that accompanies the shots could only have be supplied by you. It isn't a portrait of the banal in the surroundings of your life and you have kept Heidi out of the frame. A very introspective and vulnerable expose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all. I am going to submit the self portrait as my 1st assignment, "A Day in the Life of" so was looking at other ways to develop the basic idea. Oddly (writing this from Leeds) returning to the city that I spent years 18-21 studying in has led to some relfection and introspection about who I am and what has changed since those student days. I am just about to go for a walk and see if there is anything that hasn't changed since I left.

    ReplyDelete